Sunday, November 2, 2008

The bright side of the credit crisis?

When I bought my house five years ago, for various reasons, I got an adjustable rate mortgage. I am easily a prime borrower, and was able to make a substantial down payment, so I didn't get one of the crazy negative-amortization-ninja-ARMs you heard so much about last summer, but it's an ARM nonetheless. Last year I started thinking about refinancing into a fixed rate mortgage. I'd eye interest rates from time to time, but never pulled the trigger.

As a result, I was happy to see a piece of mail from my lender the other day. I gleefully tore it open to find that my mortgage payment has gone down $130/month. My mortgage is tied to the 1-year t-bill, which due to the credit crisis is at historically low levels. When my mortgage reset, the interest rate actually went down, lowering my payment.

Next year at this time I may not be so happy about my situation. I'm still looking to refinance, but 30-year rates aren't great right now, at least compared to where they were last summer, so I'm holding off. The are many scenarios where long-term rates will rise significantly higher, so my position remains somewhat precarious.

That said, for now I'm happy to report that the credit crunch isn't all doom and gloom.

No comments: