Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Case Against Clowns

Clowns are bad. My daughter has given me insight into clowns and their sordid ways. My daughter is terrified of clowns. At first I didn't understand why, but I fully understood that her fear was real, not feigned.

When I'd take my daughter with me to the grocery store she'd ask "there aren't any clowns there right?" I'd laugh and say, "no, of course not". One day, to my surprise, and to my daughter's horror, there was a damn clown at the grocery store! I think the store's management, in their ignorance of clown ways, might have hired the clown to make stupid balloon wiener dogs and amuse the kids. The unintended consequence was a significant degradation of my daughter's trust in me.

Having recently become aware of the problem I now see clowns everywhere. Good luck having a parade without those S.O.Bs. You may see a mini-cooper and think "Wow what a cool little car." I think, "I bet there are 8 or 10 clowns somewhere that can't wait to jam their bulbous nose, goofy painted clown butts in that little car."

Research has shown that Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns, is common in children, and is well known in adolescents and even adults. The fear is related to not being able to discern a clown's sometimes malicious intent from his facial expressions which are hidden by his ridiculous painted on smile.

I say jump back Bozo. Get your big shoe wearing ass a real job and leave us alone!

2 comments:

sjn said...

Sorry to hear that grocery store management conspired to scare your daughter. I wish I had useful advice on how to respond, but my first idea - having a shaving-cream pie handy in venues where a clown might appear - doesn't seem very practical.

My wife dislikes clowns ("clowns are creepy"). She also is creeped out by many dolls and puppets, probably from seeing movies like Poltergeist and Magic at an impressionable age.

I think old episodes of the Thunderbirds are funny and entertaining. I think she likes me a little less because of that... :-)

jmr said...

My mom once made a "scary clown" costume for halloween. Essentially, it was poorly applied clown makeup and lots of tuille. It was easily the most disturbing halloween costume I'd ever seen. Small children were universally terrified of her. The reaction was so strong that she's never worn it again.