Thursday, June 19, 2008

Luddite alert

I wish to claim my first-class luddite status in the telepatch.

I just ordered DTV converter box coupons from the U.S. gub'ment. They claim it's going to be mailed (!) July 11, and take 2-9 days to arrive. Whoa, speed demons.

The coupon is to hook up my "new" (analog) TV from 1994 (discarded by Riedl). Actually, it's going to hook up the VCR from 1994 (which we bought!), that hooks up to the TV from 1994. We just got rid of JJ's 1983 basement special this past year.

I wonder if DTV will allow me to get channel 2 (public television).

M claims Scott probably had a digital t.v. years ago.

Dan

1 comment:

sjn said...

An analog TV Luddite - interesting concept. Are you raiding factories and destroying MPEG encoder chips...?

M is correct: we bought a digital TV back in late 2004. A high-def one, no less. We don't have good line-of-site to the towers in Shoreview, but I wedged a massive UHF antenna* up in our attic to try and establish OTA reception. Partial success there, but we still pay for cable. I think you're closer, and may have better line-of-site, so simple rabbit ears or a even a coat hanger might work just fine.

DTV should allow you to get Channel "2", along with a cluster of 4 or 5 other TPT offerings (HD, kids, government, crafts, weather...). Notions of "channel" are odd in the DTV world. Search for Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP) for gory details.

Hope the gub'ment's box works for you. Let us know how it goes.

- Scott

*http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4228.html