Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Well that took a little longer than I expected

Sent to the patch via email Feb 20, 2007:

Subject: President Obama?

I ran across this anti Iraq war speech by Obama in 2002, when he was a state senator in Illinois:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Barack_Obama's_Iraq_Speech

Two things occur:

1) It would be so nice to have a president that was an eloquent public speaker.

2) If even a fraction of the frankness exhibited in that speech can survive a run for the US senate and presidential campaign, it would quite refreshing compared to the triangulation and maneuvering that seems to have become the norm in current national politics.

---

Sent on Jan 8, 2008, the morning of the New Hampshire Primary:

Subject: It's Obama's to lose...

Barring some kind of major shakeup [touch wood], I think Obama's gonna take the whole enchilada. ...

---

Sent in the evening of Jan 8, 2008:

Subject: Re: It's Obama's to lose...

Obama lost NH narrowly. Grumble. I guess I'll have to wait until
Feb. 5 to celebrate getting to vote for a presidential candidate I
actually like.

---

And here we are on June 3rd... I guess I was a little optimistic.

1 comment:

sjn said...

I prefer Obama too, but have been very fatigued by the grind of the long close race, to the point of losing interest. I know I should have loftier thoughts this morning, but for now I'm just hoping that the shift in power means I don't have to listen to Terry McAuliffe every time I turn to coverage of the race.

A pipe dream, I suppose. We can hope for a smooth exit or graceful transition from the Clinton team, but what I expect to see is an excruciating prying of their fingernails from the main stage, one ... by ...... one.