Saturday, June 14, 2008

Underhanded contest

Saw a link on slashdot today to The Underhanded C Contest, which I'd missed in its earlier versions. Kind of an amusing premise, likely more so for someone like myself whose first big projects were in C and who's enjoyed the Obfuscated C Code Contest in the past. I even picked up on the core of the 2007 winner's trick (the bogus prototype for a system call: hello, stack clobbering!), but was too lazy to work through its implications.

I know I'm just forwarding a link already in another blog, but I do like the droll style of the fellow who set up the contest. From its FAQ:



Won't this contest have a bad influence on our youth?

I don't see why: all I'm doing is inviting people to write malicious software in exchange for money.

Besides, it's not even money. It's a gift certificate for a store that lets you buy innocent things like caffeine pills, knives, butane torches and lasers.

No comments: