Monday, April 28, 2008

Behind The Scenes At Telepatch

Earlier today, JJ wrote me an email complaining that he didn't understand this sentence in my Deep Purple post: "I can't tell if they're taking the piss, or if..."

The following IM conversation ensued:

me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_the_mickey Does that help?

Jon: Ah, didn't know you were British. I think you should assume most people will not know what the fuck you are talking about.

me: It's a bit of slang I learned from Jay, from when he was performing at the Millenium Dome.

me: I considered that problem, I even thought about linking the wikipedia article, or rewriting to avoid the obscure slang. But the thing is, that phrase means exactly what I want to say.

Jon: You should rewrite it. If you link to wikipedia people will just think you are being a snob / douche.

me: To rewrite would be wordier or less precise.

Jon: Eskimos have 14 words for snow but it turns out that we call it snow.

me: I tell you what: when you catch up to me in posts, I'll rewrite it.

Jon: Don't know if I want my posts associated with Douchy McDouche.

me:
As you wish.

me: How about I post this converstaion? That would be amusing.

Jon: Do what you want.

Jon: You can say that I think your use of language makes you a wanker (here's a wikipedia link) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanker :-)

Jon: I am, of course, using wanker in the metaphorical way that is common in Australia.

me:
Ha

me: I'll post this later tonight. I'll send you the edited transcript before posting.

Jon: Don't edit out my cussing is all I ask.

me: Will do.

1 comment:

sjn said...

This was fun. The only thing missing from my perspective is the sound of juggling beanbags smacking into flesh.